Home Practice: finding prop substitutes
Welcome to yoga at INYE! Yoga is a powerful and transformative practice that can be done by students of all levels, ages and abilities. While our teachers and staff will help you settle in and feel comfortable at Inye, it can take time to get familiar with this practice. Please feel free to ask any question! You might be a seasoned Yogi, with a dedicated mat and props; some might be exploring new territories through Yoga movements.
All are welcome! Here are some ideas to prepare our home practices:
1) Find a space that you can dedicate the practice to. Less to no distraction if available, this is your time to practice Self Care. Treat it with dedication & importance.
2) If you don't have a mat, or the mat glides easily on the floor, just use the floor.
3) Yoga Blocks are wonderful to have, to bring the ground toward you, when the flexibility is still improving. If you don't have them, water bottles, thick sturdy books, or DVD collections box sets are great alternatives!
4) Straps can act as an extension of your arms, allow you to reach longer & deeper. Belt of any type is a great substitute, neck tie can also be a good choice.
5) A bolster can provide various supports to your spine, same as a firm pillow, or a rolled up thick towel (think sushi roll!)
6) Sensitive Knees? A folded towel or sweater can provide much needed relief. Remember, no pain in Yoga!
New to Yoga
Here are some friendly tips to get you started.
GUIDELINES FOR PRACTICE:
Be patient and kind to yourself as your practice unfolds.
Arrive ten to fifteen minutes early to prepare for class.
Refrain from eating a heavy meal two to three hours before practicing.
Arrive well hydrated!
Please remove shoes upon entering the studio.
Remember to turn off your mobile device to cultivate a calm and peaceful space.
Sign-in at the front desk before you enter the change room.
Inform your teacher if you are working with any limitations or injuries to ensure you have a safe and healing practice.
Observe silence in the studio before the start of class to allow time for meditation and reflection.
Avoid wearing perfume or cologne, as others may have allergic reactions to fragrances.
Wear clothing that is comfortable and wicks away sweat.
All classes must be pre-registered, please refrain from doing drop-in.
YOGA MAT & PROPS:
Phase 3 re-opening: Please bring your personal props and mat to class, as rental options will not be available. INYE also carries brand new mats and props for sale in the studio.
Refurbished props are also for sale now for discounted price! Please ask the staff for more information!
Comfortable clothing that is easy to move in and wicks away sweat.
Our change rooms are equipped with lockers, private showers (currently not available in Phase 3) and complimentary eco-friendly Dr. Bronner’s spa soap, shampoo and conditioner for your comfort and convenience.
ALKALINE WATER FOR WATER BOTTLES:
An alkaline water filtration system is available for your use in each change room. We encourage you to stay well hydrated both on and off the mat!
JUST IN CASE... WE HAVE IN ON HAND (IN STUDIO):
Flow Water $2.25
Shower towels $2.00